01 September 2010

Foster to Ibrox, Dons sign Velicka

The Grampian corner of the Twittersphere was ablaze today as the transfer window closed with a bang (for the SPL, anyway), with Ricky Foster sent to Rangers on a season-long loan, and Lithuanian Andrius Velicka shipped North in Foster's stead.

My take? Initially I was quite down on the deal, as I'm not convinced that we have the depth to afford Foster's departure, and I have seen Velicka tossed from club to club, rapidly wearing out his welcome at each stop.  Velicka was clearly a disposable asset for Rangers having already welcomed James Beattie and Nikica Jelavic, and Huns fans have to be pleased with Walter Smith's dealings.

Now, twelve hours removed, I'm a titch more sanguine about the transaction.  Foster now has the opportunity to play Champions League football. If he contributes to Rangers' European success, the loan will become permanent and his transfer fee will jump commensurately. The 25-year-old sounds realistic about his chances: "This is a really good opportunity for me. I am under no illusions that I am going to walk into the team but I will work really hard to try and get there. If I do, it will be a great personal achievement. I have to hit the ground running and show what I can do in training and try to get into the manager's plans. Hopefully my pace can be an asset in either of the full-back positions or further forward. I realise I am a squad player but I hope to do what I can to show that I can play for Rangers."

As for Velicka? A low-risk, high-upside addition to a club that is already disheveled and potentially in need  of a pick-me-up. Ideally the transfer window could have held open another fortnight to allow McGhee to sort out his club a bit, but if I view this is a proactive decision and a bit of a gamble, then I'll keep the grumbling to myself.

(I do wonder how the Aberdeen boss is going to make a five-striker formation work, but at least it'll make for exciting football?)

No comments:

Post a Comment