19 August 2010

Week 2: St Johnstone - Aberdeen

I held off on posting the week two preview for a day as I wanted to bask in the glory of the opener. While clearly one match does not a season make, how can we not be cheered by what we saw in Pittodrie. My pre-season pick for Player of the Year, Sone Aluko put forth a strong effort, with incisive attacking play earning the first two of Hartley's tallies, in addition to the corner on which Diamond added the third.  Last year the back end was the Don's weakness (well, one of them), but McCardle and Howard were quite comfortable, and Megennis did the hard work all over the pitch.

Indeed, the fact that new addition Scott Vernon may well have to bide his time on the bench is actually quite encouraging, and while I'd feel better when Mackie exorcises last year's failures, a collection of three points with Mackie kept off the sheet is positive in its own way.

Clearly we expect a tougher matchup in Perth this weekend, but it's not unreasonable to expect the Dons' strong form to carry over. Saints will be without Steven Anderson after his scything kick to the back of Suso's leg, but will be buoyed by their away point at Tynecastle. Aberdeen may have to be patient and guard against the counter as Saints proved tough to crack throughout the second half... again, Aluko may prove critical to the Dons' success, as I doubt that Millar, Morris (cautioned last week), and the rest of the midfield can contain his aggression if the youngster has his head in gear.

Am I optimistic? Yes, yes I am. I've tried to stuff the positive thoughts back down, but for one week at least I have allowed a good start to get my hopes up. Come on Dons!

No comments:

Post a Comment